Thursday, February 3, 2011

2011 Houston Half Marathon

This past Sunday, January 30th, I ran my first ever half marathon. It all started back in the summer when a friend who ran it last year asked if I wanted to do it with her. I was hesitant but was considering it. I then had a girls night out with other friend, Claudia, and and I asked her if she wanted to do it. Two margaritas later we both were in! =) We entered the lottery system the next day and waited to see if we'd made it. Mid-August we got our notification that we were IN! We both had mixed emotions about it, to which Claudia said she was never drinking with me again hee hee, but there was no looking back now. We joined a running club to train and I'm so glad we did. We ended up running at the same pace so it was a life saver to have a friend to run with and talk to to pass the time and miles away. Every 2 weeks we increased our mileage by a mile and with each increase we wondered how we were going to be able to do it. But we did it each time!!! Claudia was my rock and supporter the entire time and I couldn't have done it without her. And all those miles and hours training made for a much stronger friendship that I am forever grateful for.

So come race day and my 2 goals were to finish and to run the whole 13.1 miles...I accomplished both in 2:45:11!!! Erik brought Chase out to cheer us on and a high school friend, Chris Stroud, and his fiance came out as well and even made me a sign. I had no clue they were doing that so at about mile 5 I see a sign that says "Go Stacy V." I said to Claudia jokingly hey there's a sign for me. Then I saw Chris right behind it was said no way it really is a sign for me. I was struggling a bit at that point of the run with the warm, humid weather so that made for a welcomed laugh

I am glad I ran in the Houston Half Marathon and proud that I accomplished what I set out to do even if it wasn't in blazing speed time. But I'm also equally glad it's over! Till next year...MAYBE!





No comments:

Post a Comment