On Wednesday, June 30th my grandpa went to be with Jesus. I, and most of our family, made it to the hospital in Arlington on Tuesday because we were told his days were numbered. Grandpa had been transferred to the hospice section of the hospital on Monday. When I got there we met with the nurse and she said there were more changes in his health and it would probably be only 2-3 more days. I went in to see him and he looked good. He was cleaned up, shaved and no tubes, IV's, etc...just oxygen to help him breath. They had him mildly sedated for comfort but he wasn't oblivious to what was going on around him. He couldn't talk but would wake up a little at a time to listen to us. I had some alone time with him and I asked him to grunt if he could hear me and he did. I went on to tell him how much I loved him, that it was ok to go and be with Jesus, go see his parents, walk & sing again, and that we'd take care of Grandma, along with some other stuff. But the things I mentioned he'd either squeeze my hand or give me as much of a smile as he could. Those moments of him responding the way he could to me gave me peace that he heard me, understood me and was telling he he loved me back.
We left that night to go back to their house for dinner. The Ranger's were playing that night and we had gotten word that Tom Grieve, Ranger's TV announcer, was going to mention Grandpa during the first inning. So the family went back up to the hospital to watch the game with Grandpa. My aunt took some beer (there's no rules in hospice and they encourage you to do whatever you want...side note the dogs got to go visit Grandpa as well Tuesday and get in the bed with him and gave him kisses) and my brother took a Ranger's hat for Grandpa to wear. So Grandpa got to watch a ball game with his family, taste beer on his lips & suck a little off the sponge, and listen to a shout out to him on tv. I think that was probably the best night he'd had in a long time and all was right in his world. Because the next morning at around 5:30am he passed peacefully in his sleep.
I'm thankful I made it in town before he passed and was able to tell him one last time that I loved him and say goodbye as well. I love you Grandpa and will miss you!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment